Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Why vinyl?

Why vinyl?

Growing up, the only three records I can remember there being at home were a Barry Manilow one, a Barbra Streisand one and The Merserybeats. I still have The Merseybeats. It's cover is long past it's best but it still plays and still gets played. My memory tells me that my father bought it from Woolworths. That may or may not be true. I can remember being bought a Mr Pickwick Top of the Tot's single by someone and it had a pink cover and one track was Tiger Feet.My brothers also had one each but I have no recollection of the tracks on theirs.

I can always remember the radio being played and we did have an old red Dansette record player that we played things on. Oh how I wish I still had it! As I grew older, I took more of an interest in music. I knew with no doubt at all that I really did not like Barry or Babs and started to develop my own taste.

The first record I ever remember buying with my own money was Atomic by Blondie. I loved her! She was Blonde and pretty and a bit dangerous. The total opposite of my dark, frizzy, chubbiness. I played and played and played it. I am surprised I didn't wear it out! This was closely followed by Mirror in the Bathroom by The Beat. The Beat have remained one of my favourite bands and even now, do an amazing, energetic and thoroughly entertaining live gig. The first album I bought was Dirk wears white sox by Adam and the Ants. Again, he still does an amazing live show and remains one of my all time favourite artists.

As I hit my teens, I developed a love for more alternative music. I would sit in the kitchen doing my art homework listening to John Peel, cassette at the ready in case he played something new. My collection of records started to grow with me spending most of my pocket money on them. I must have been about 14 when I got my first proper record player and the Dansette was thrown out. I have never been without a deck since.

My love of music has always endured as has my love of vinyl. I have CD's and have been known to do the occasional digital download but records, proper vinyl records are my first love! I love everything about them. I love having a physical presence, the music I love captured on a beautiful piece of vinyl, a solid item I can hold, admire and love. Everything from the amazing, captivating artwork to the messages in the Matrices of Records that people often miss. 

Over the years my collection has grown then dwindled as a result of many house moves, drunken nights and dishonest  'friends'. I still have a lot of my original records from 'back in the day' and frequently buy more from charity shops, car boots, vinyls shops and online. I think at a rough estimate I probably have around 200 - 300 7 inch singles, 100 - 150 LP's plus 12 inch singles, 10 inch singles and shaped picture discs. I have a few old 78's but sadly nothing to play them on at the moment (working on that one!!) My taste in music has changed as I have grown older. Once, all that graced my turntable was goth, punk and electro. Now I have a very eclectic mix with everything from Frank Sinatra, Alien Sex Fiend, Herb Alpert, Adam Ant, Bert Kaempfert, Sex Pistols and Deap Vally. I have bizarre and downright strange stuff and records I have bought just because I love the cover artwork. One thing is for sure, no matter how strange, every record I buy gets played and is loved. 

I decided to start digitising my records as I have loads that simply aren't available in a digital format. It just seemed a great idea to share my collection with whoever would want to have a look and a listen. I hope you enjoy my collection and get as much pleasure from it as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment