Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Naughty Miranda - Indians in Moscow.

Naughty Miranda  - Indians in Moscow
1983 Kennick Records
B-side  Miranda
5 in UK Indie Charts







I first heard Naughty Miranda whilst holed up in the kitchen at home doing my homework aged 14. I always listened to John Peel and this track really stuck out to me. I loved the mad lyrics; "I slit his guts with my blunt-edged play scissors and sucked out his brains with a straw. His succulent blood can nourish my goldfish, I'll keep all the bits in a drawer." The almost screeching vocals of singer Adele Nozedar were edgy, manic and instantly unforgettable and combined with the punky electro beats, if you heard this record I am pretty sure it is one you would remember!
 
Indians in Moscow came from Hull and had their first bite of fame on the cult Channel 4 music programme The Tube on it's Hull Special. A young Jools Holland introduced them from a urinal in a public toilet on 2nd December 1983 (2 days before my 15th birthday)! The band consisted of keyboard players Pete Riches and Stuart Walton, singer Adele Nozeda, and drummer Rich Hornby.

The B-side of Naughty Miranda was Miranda. I always felt this was a bit of a cop out as it was essentially the same tune, just with some of the lyrics altered. In 'Miranda', her dad is the bad guy who is going to jail. I do love the line "He liked to keep dead fish and stuffed sheep, which proves that he can't have been bright!"






Indians in Moscow had 3 other singles - I Wish I Had,  Jack Pelter & His Sex Change Chicken and Big Wheel, none of which I ever heard at the time (or at least I can't remember them) and one self titled album. They split in 1985.

Naughty Miranda has remained a firm favourite of mine, a much played vinyl companion over the last 30 years. Has it really been 30 years??!!!

Naughty Miranda (for some reason it won't let me show the video here)

Miranda (Same again -won't show the video here)





No comments:

Post a Comment