Tim Dry/Sean Crawford
B-Side - Dangerous and unafraid
1984 Survival Records
17 in UK Charts
The first picture disc I ever bought was Screen me I'm yours by Tik and Tok. Does anyone else actually remember them?
This was the second Tik and Tok single I bought. I remember seeing them on TV (can't remember what programme it was) and was amazed by their robotic dancing act. I loved robotics and was even known to do a bit myself! I once came second in a seaside talent show doing robotics! It was either Scarborough or Llandudno and I was there on a family holiday. Children were invited to take part in the seafront show and I thought I would give it a go! I told them what I was going to do and asked if they had any music. The only accompaniment available was a full brass band and they only song they knew that they deemed appropriate was 'Puppet on a string'! So, here was me, about 13 years old, goth, dancing robotics to Puppet on a string! I came second to a cute little boy aged about 5 who sang 'Paddy McGinty's goat' very badly! I can't remember what I won but the head judge did come up to me afterwards and said that they all thought I should have won but let the young lad win because he was so young!
Anyway, I digress!
Tik and Tok aka Tim Dry and Sean Crawford began performing together in the early 1980's as part of a burlesque/rock/mime/music troupe called Shock. They supported Gary Numan at his Wembley Arena shows in April 1981 then Dry and Crawford left to form Tik and Tok. They performed on TV on shows such as Kenny Everett, The Tube, and even The Royal Variety Show. In 1982, they were featured artistes in the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi.
I met Tik and Tok in 1982 when they came to Sheffield. The did a performance on the roof of a shop somewhere (can't remember where as my old brain is failing me) and did a signing session afterwards. I still have my signed copy of Summer in the City which will be blogged at a later date. Back then I really loved them! Listening to this record now, I am less impressed! They were very much artists of their time. As performers, they were entertaining and fantastic at the robotics. As singers, well let's just say they should have stuck to the dancing!
The picture disc came with a warning:
And I just though the poor sound quality was because they weren't very good!



No comments:
Post a Comment