Wednesday, 1 May 2013

My first purchase Atomic by Blondie.

Atomic by Blondie Written by Debbie Harry and Jimmy Destri
Produced by Mike Chapman  

Released as the third single from the band's Platinum-plus 1979 album Eat to the Beat
B Side  Die young stay pretty

Released 1980 Chrysalis 
The song hit number 1 in the UK - where it held for three weeks in March 1980

The first record I ever bought with my own money was Atomic by Blondie. I will have been 11 or 12, probably 11 as my birthday is the end of the year. 1980. It was probably bought from either the local Woolworths or G.T News, I can't remember. I loved Blondie. She was blonde and beautiful and dangerously on the edge. Me, I was short and chubby with uncontrollable frizzy brown hair. I remember buying a Blondie comb and case from a gift shop on a family holiday to Scarborough. Everyone at school was so jealous of my bit of cheap plastic!


I must have played that record so many times that it's surprising that it didn't wear out. I loved the B side too,  Die Young Stay Pretty. It had a bit of a reggae beat to it and was quite chilled.

The cover art had Debbie Harry in a sexy blue dress, looking whistfully to the side, all blonde and glamorous. The atomic cloud behind her almost looks like golden angel wings!


I still like Blondie. 33 years on, I am still chubby but a lot less frizzy. And definately not blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment